Once you’ve chosen the perfect package for your formula, we’ll send you a deco area (dieline) that features the printable areas of the component. Each package has a different printable area, so it’s important to understand how you want the component decorated when making your packaging selections.
The dieline you receive will give you the measurements of the component and the printable areas will be specified in the file (see above example). Here are the steps to placing your artwork on the dieline and saving in the proper file format for production.
- Open the file in Adobe Illustrator.
- Create a new layer for your artwork placement. Keeping your artwork and the dieline on separate layers will ensure your artwork prints clean, with no trace of guide marks. This also allows you to turn the dieline on and off to isolate the view of your artwork.
- Once your artwork is placed within the dieline, make sure to outline all fonts. *Note* Outlining fonts turns fonts into objects instead of type. This preserves your font look and prevents it from defaulting to an alternate font, in the case your font is not installed on the computer system that creates your artwork during production.
- Call out each color to be used in the artwork with swatches at the bottom of the page that reference each PMS number.
- Save two versions of your file. One in Adobe Illustrator format (.ai) and one in Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- Email your artwork files to Roberts, or submit through a file sharing link.
If you don’t have Adobe Illustrator abilities in house you can outsource this work to a graphic design professional. We are always here to guide you in the right direction for all your packaging needs, please contact us if you have any questions.